Wednesday 1 January 2014

BJB and CK,

What do I know about Richard Rohmer? A lot.  Growing up in the 70s, I remember his books being everywhere, reading reviews and op-ed pieces, knowing that these were provocative texts that took political implausibilities and made them seem so real Canadian readers were given sleepless nights worrying about their territorial sovereignty, the dangerous position our energy riches placed the country in or indeed national unity itself.  I know in hindsight that these were books that anticipated the works of Robert Ludlum and Tom Clancy - maybe Rohmer was our own Eric Ambler?  

Or maybe not.  What do I really know about Richard Rohmer?  Next to nothing.  All but forgotten by anyone but us (or so it seems), you can't find reliable descriptions anywhere across the internet of any of his books; none are easy to come by either online or ( I know, I've tried) in used bookstores or second hand shops.  For all I know,  he may be all but unreadable.  But hey - I'm about to find out.  Chris, Brian and I will be spending a lot of time getting to know the Major-General.  Brian already has a head start having read a few in high school;  I think it's time to start catching up.

No comments:

Post a Comment