- The Mafia will kill anyone for money.
- In 1983, the Mafia's going rate for killing a prime minister of Canada was $190,000 ($413,000 today), though they'll do the job for $170,000 ($370,000 today).
- You can haggle with the Mafia.
- No need to pay in advance, but a 5.9% downpayment is a must.
- The Mafia believes Abraham Lincoln was shot in the heart.
- Prisoners in Kingston Penitentiary are deprived of television and newspapers.
- Typically, a hitman will get a 50% cut - 70% for high risk jobs.
- The Mafia can be forgetful - what is $170,000 one month is remembered as $180,000 the next).
- The Mafia is bad at math (70% of $180,000 is $126,000, not $120,000).
- The Mafia expects to clear $60,000 ($130,700 today) for killing a prime minister.
- The Mafia prefers that hits be made in crowded places.
- A hitman will not waste so much as a second to see if he was successful.
- More important than a hitman escaping is that is his gun not be left behind.
- Scenes of assassination attempts are not secured until several minutes after the crime, even if there is a heavy police presence.
- No one will notice, never mind stop, a man carrying a gun case as he leaves a building in which an assassination attempt has occurred.
Sunday, 2 March 2014
Fifteen things I learned about the Mafia and hitmen from reading Separation Two: