Friday 31 January 2014

My copy of Exodus UK – a first edition in not so great shape – arrived today through inter-library loans, so I say yea to the novel.

It would be great if Rohmer gets better and better. Does he? All I can say at this point is that Exxoneration was every bit as good as Ultimatum. Greene knew his first books weren't very good. Closer to home, I think of Mordecai Richler, who for many decades prevented his first novel, The Acrobats, from being reprinted.

(Still don't know what to think about it being reissued just months after the man's death.)

And let's not forget that The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, the first truly worth reading, was his fourth novel. Pal Brian Moore hit it out of the park on his first swing… and Greene though Moore was the greatest living English language writer.

Chrystia Freeland is very, very smart. Expect to see her in cabinet following the next election.

You can tell her I said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment